The human mind is such that it tells the body to enact something that’s strictly prohibited ( remember the biblical story of the fruit from the Forbidden Tree?).
Also, it manipulates us to hold on rigidly to something or someone, which or who, no longer belong to us anymore or don’t serve us any better.
I don’t hold the power of casting a Hogwartian spell on you to make you forget things without having to do anything. But I have your best interests at heart and that’s why I intend to help you move on in life and severe ties with something and anything that is wrenching your heart.
For the same purpose, I have compiled a list of 20 quotes which you could go through on a daily basis, and this daily dose of motivation might just be the key to the world of freedom from the chains of the past.
From the quotes about letting go of someone you love but can’t have to letting go of someone who doesn’t appreciate you and finally, the ones indicating the signs of you having moved on, here goes the list:
1. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.”
― Roy T. Bennet, the Light in the Heart
2. “There ain’t no way you can hold onto something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.”
― Kate DiCamillo, Because of Winn-Dixie
3. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.”
― Shannon L. Alder
4. “There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this.”
― Terry Pratchett
5. “Even on my weakest days
I get a little bit stronger”
― Sara Evans
6. “The day I understood everything, was the day I stopped trying to figure everything out. The day I knew peace was the day I let everything go.”
― C. JoyBell C.
7. And I told him, I said: “One day you’re going to miss the subway because it’s not going to come. One of these days, it’s going to break down and it’s not going to come around and everyone else will just wait for the next one or will take the bus, or walk, or run to the next station: they will go on with their lives. And you’re not going to be able to go on with your life! You’ll be standing there, in the subway station, staring at the tube. Why? Because you think that everything has to happen perfectly and on time and when you think it’s going to happen! Well, guess what! That’s not how things happen! And you’ll be the only one who’s not going to be able to go on with life, just because your subway broke down. So you know what, you’ve got to let go, you’ve got to know that things don’t happen the way you think they’re going to happen, but that’s okay because there’s always the bus, there’s always the next station…you can always take a cab.”
― C. JoyBell C.
8. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.”
― Jeffrey McDaniel
9. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are & what you really want out of life? Right after a breakup.”
― Mandy Hale, The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass
10. “Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday. Realize the past no longer holds you captive. It can only continue to hurt you if you hold on to it. Let the past go. A simply abundant world awaits. (January 11)”
― Sarah Ban Breathnach, Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
11. “Thank God I found the GOOD in goodbye”
― Beyoncé Knowles
12. “Being different is a revolving door in your life where secure people enter and insecure exit.”
― Shannon L. Alder
13. “Letting go. Everyone talks about it like it’s the easiest thing. Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open. But my hand has been clenched into a fist for three years now; it’s frozen shut.”
― Gayle Forman, Where She Went
14. “Pain will leave you hen you let go”
― Jeremy Aldana
15. “When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you.”
― Shannon L. Alder
16. “No matter how bad you want a person, if your hearts are in two different places, you’ll have to pass and move on.”
― Alexandra Elle
17. “Letting him go. There is a particular kind of suffering to be experienced when you love something greater than yourself. A tender sacrifice. Like the pained silence felt in the lost song of a mermaid or the bent and broken feet of a dancing ballerina. It is in every considered step I am taking in the opposite direction of you.”
― Lang Leav
18. She’s not going to let go until she sees for herself that there’s nothing left to hold on to.”
― Susane Colasanti, Take Me There
19. “Sometimes the door closes on a relationship, not because we failed but because something bigger than us says this no longer fits our life. So, lock the door, shed a tear, turn around and look for the new door that’s opened. It’s a sign that you’re no longer that person you were, it’s time to change into who you are. It’s going to be okay.”
― Lee Goff
20. Sometimes I think there are only two instructions we need to follow to develop and deepen our spiritual life: slow down and let go.”
― Oriah Mountain Dreamer, The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
When you lock yourself in your room trying to analyze the paradox of the sound of silence, life continues moving at the same pace or even faster without looking back and waiting for you.
The choice is completely and absolutely yours, of whether to stay in desertion for God knows how long or get going with the flow of life. I’d prefer the latter. So should you!